What’s on at Retford Library in May:
Joanna Courtney — Author visit
Wednesday 3rd May, 2.00pm to 3.30pm
Come along to Retford Library to meet popular historical fiction writer Joanna Courtney, author of the series ‘The Queens of the Conquest’. Tickets cost £1, to include refreshments, and booking is essential.
‘Rivers in the Desert’: The Coolgardie Goldfields Water Scheme 1898-1903 — A talk by Harry Foxley
Thursday 11th May, 7.00pm
The discovery of gold in the early 1890s in West Australia and the story of how Charles Yelverton O’Connor devised a steel pipeline to provide a ‘river’ of water to the goldfields ‘desert’. Tickets for this history talk cost £1, to include refreshments, and booking is essential.
HOME LIBRARY SERVICE
Retford Library has a team of RVS volunteers who deliver a selection of library books to those who are housebound and cannot access the library. If you know someone who would benefit from this service, please let a member of the library staff know. Also, if you would like to volunteer to be part of this scheme, we would be happy to hear from you.
Regular events at Retford Library:
- Writers’ Group — The Writers’ Group will meet on Thursday 11th and 25th May from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. Come along, listen and share. For further information you can contact Kevin on 07903 654499 and email@example.com.
- Craft and Coffee Club — Passionate about crafts? Why not join the Craft and Coffee Club on Wednesday 3rd, 17th and 31st May from 1.30pm to 3.00pm. Bring along your project, swap ideas, patterns and materials over a coffee — the cost is 50p for refreshments.
- Family History Group — The self-supporting Family History Group will meet on Monday 8th and 22nd May from 5.00pm to 7.00pm. Library facilities, including the local studies rooms and free computer access to the Ancestry website are also available.
- Local and Family History Drop-In Surgery — Need advice about family or local history? A local studies librarian will be on hand from 9.30am to 1.00pm on Thursday 25th May. This drop-in session is free and no booking is required.
- Free IT Sessions — We can help with basic computer skills on PCs, laptops and tablets. Up to three free IT sessions are offered and we also can offer a session on Ancestry.
- Children’s Sessions — Have fun with your little ones, meet other parents and make new friends with Rattle, Rhyme and Roll every Wednesday and Friday from 10.00am to 10.20am. These sessions include songs, rhymes and musical instruments for babies and toddlers.
Coming up in June
Bookstart Bear will make an appearance at Rattle Rhyme and Roll on 7th June, the Poetry Café on 12th June and a talk on Mr Straw’s house on 15th June. More details to follow.
For further information about any of these events please contact Retford Library on 01777 708724 or firstname.lastname@example.org.