Could you be a literacy volunteer? This is a great opportunity to help improve a child’s literacy and communication.
The charity ‘Literacy Volunteers’ is seeking individuals to help in primary schools in the Worksop area and across North Nottinghamshire.
Literacy Volunteers is a registered charity formed in 1996. Their fabulous, dedicated volunteers work with children in local schools and Early Years’ settings to develop an interest and love for reading, helping to break down barriers and open doors for life-long achievement.
Volunteers can make all the difference in a child’s life. They chat with the children, read fun books together and play word games to help build their vocabulary and confidence with words and spelling.
The charity recruits, vets, trains and then supports volunteers in post and pay travel expenses. Volunteers own transport would be advantageous but is not essential.
If you can give just half a day a week’s regular commitment for at least one school year and would like to become part of an enthusiastic and committed volunteering force that is doing great work improving literacy and transforming the lives of children across the city and county, please get in touch with the charity.
During the 2016-17 school year, the charity received ‘Fantastic Children’s Improvement Results’, from schools which stated that the input from their Literacy Volunteer had meant that:
- 99% of children improved in their reading level
- 98% of children improved in their confidence
- 98% of children improved in their conversation skills
You can find more details on www.literacyvolunteers.org.uk. Call 0115 8765474 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an enquiries form and information sheet.
What the children have said about their Literacy Volunteer and what they do together
- “She’s nice and kind” — Kassie
- Talking about books and stories. “Learning new words”. — Logan
- “Playing Scrabble and doing crosswords”. — Anyika
- “Everything!” — Samuel
What the schools say about the Literacy Volunteers service
- “All our volunteers are excellent, dedicated and approachable and the children love working with them. Many thanks.”
- “Our volunteer has been fabulous, and the children have loved working with her. She has helped the children to love learning.”
- “The Literacy Volunteers are an extremely valued source of support. We can’t speak highly enough of each of them.”
What our volunteers have had to say
- “I love doing this work.”
- “I love the clarity of role and being able to spend quality time with children desperate for attention and direct support.”
- “I enjoy it as much as I feel the children do — very positive.”