Rotary Club of Retford

by | 11 May 2024 | Retford, Rotary

The big event for the Rotary Club of Retford in March was the annual Swimathon at Retford Leisure Centre, which just keeps getting bigger. Over 50 volunteers, Rotarians, partners and friends worked to achieve an enjoyable and successful day, led by Richard and Ros Cable. In total there were 26 teams representing 20 different organisations and community groups, and some 300 swimmers raising money for a wide range of good causes.

Over £15,000 has been raised through this event. 40% of the total money raised will go to the Rotary Club’s chosen charities – Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance and Guide Dogs. The remaining 60% is donated to local charities and organisations chosen by the participating teams.
These include: Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice, Riding for the Disabled, Thrumpton Project Playground, Rotherham Hospice, School Funds and Scout Funds, the DEAR program, the Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals Charity, and STEM Kit Leadership Equipment.

All swimmers received medals and certificates for their personal efforts. Trophies for various categories were presented by the Retford Town Mayor, Councillor Dan Henderson, at a presentation ceremony at Ye Olde Bell Hotel on Saturday 16th March. Thank you to all involved.

Retford Rotary Club applied for and was awarded a Rotary District Grant of £1,500 to match fund a Club donation through the Percy Laws Fund to Bassetlaw Food Bank to fund the supply of fruit and vegetable boxes. On Thursday 28th March President Mary Danby presented the cheque for £3,000 to Laura Kennedy from the Bassetlaw Food Bank.

Don’t forget a couple of upcoming events!

The plant sale on Retford market on 18th May organised by the International Committee is fast approaching. There should be a good selection and a bargain or two to be had.

This year the Charity Golf Day, held at Retford Golf Club on Wednesday 24th July, will primarily be supporting the Bassetlaw Learning Disability Association and the NSPCC, along with other local Rotary Charities. Applications for teams of four are still welcome by contacting or downloading an application form from the Club website.

There is also an opportunity for any businesses wishing to sponsor a Tee on the day by contacting the Club to discuss.