Once again the Retford Civic Society is organising a day where you can visit places of interest and learn more about Retford’s heritage and entertainment.
The following buildings each with its own activities will be freely open between 10.00am and 4.00pm:
- Grove Street Methodist Church
- Bassetlaw Museum
- St Swithun’s Church
- Denman Library (from 9.30am)
- St Michael’s Church
- The Masonic Hall
- Retford Town Hall
- Retford Little Theatre
- Trinity Hospital
- The Hub, Retford
- Bassetlaw (North Notts) Railway Society in the former ‘Buffet and 1st Class Dining Room’ at Retford Railway Station
The following sites will have alternative opening hours
- The Majestic Theatre — 10.00am – 2.00pm
- Goodwin Hall — 9.30am – 12.15pm
- See TaleGate Theatre performing ‘Rotten Retford: A tale of how Bassetlaw came about’.
- Meet ‘Robin Hood’ as he strolls around the town
- Retford Community Choir will be performing original songs based on Retford — its history and characters
- Join a ‘pop-up’ singing workshop
- Retford Youth Theatre performing ‘Robin Hood’ play
Come and watch, experience and enjoy!
Other points of interest
- Outside Bassetlaw Museum there will be old buses and vintage cars offering trips around town.
- Children’s activities at Bassetlaw Museum
- Kings Park in all its glory for you to enjoy together with a display of the history of the park and its development based at Goodwin Hall
- Demonstrations, displays, musical recitals, bell ringing, refreshments, etc will be taking place at various venues throughout the day. Please see the Programme of Events.
- Trips along the Chesterfield Canal on the ‘Seth Ellis’.
Sunday 10th September 2017
Heritage Tours Around Retford
Two heritage walking tours will take place at 10.00am and 2.00pm.
The walks will start from the Town Hall and will last around one hour 15 minutes.
Please contact Retford Civic Society to reserve your place — email email@example.com or call 01777 702929.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
A Programme of Events is available from the Tourist Information Centre at The Hub, Bassetlaw Museum, Denman Library and Bookworm on Spa Lane.
- 10.00am — Bells — St Swithuns
- 10.30am — Tailgate Theatre — Town Hall
- 11.00am — U3A recorder group — St Swithuns
- 11.15am — Pop-up singing workshop — Library
- 11.45am — Pop-up singing workshop — St Swithuns
- 12.00pm — Retford Youth Theatre — Town Hall
- 12.15pm — Pop-up singing workshop — Museum
- 1.30pm — Tailgate Theatre — Town Hall
- 2.00pm — U3A Singing Group — St Swithuns
- 2.30pm — Heritage Talk — Library