Once again Retford Charter Day will take place on May Day Bank Holiday – Monday 6th May. The town will be buzzing with entertainment, old and new. Debutots a Family Interactive Storytelling, Gruffalo’s Child will be performed at Bassetlaw Museum from 11.00am to 11.45am and at Captain Jacks from 1.00pm to 1.45pm. In the Park will be Professor Paul Temple as seen on Channel 5 with his Fairground Organ and Punch and Judy performing at 11.00am, 1.00pm and 3.00pm
There will be dancing, singers, recorder group, martial arts in the Town Hall and on the Lawns, and Performance Area, not forgetting the steel band (Pantastic). The Fire Station will be open for people to look around and the fire watch will give demos of some of their equipment. The Majestic Theatre will also be giving tours from 10.00am to approximately 2.30pm. The Butter Market will be open with a Craft Fair and various stalls will be sited in Carolgate and Exchange Street.
Darth Vader and his Storm Troopers will be patrolling the Town and Park. There will be much more for you to see and enjoy on Charter Day.
Town Centre Programme
- 9.00am to 4.00pm — Rapide Brothers and The River Boys
- 10.00am — Tractor Parade
- Plus, Worksop Car Club, the Super Cars Club, the welcome return of the Hurricance flyover and a full demonstration of a jet engine from a Vulcan Bomber which has never been seen in public before, vintage cars, as well as a market, charity market, street entertainers and refreshments.
King’s Park Programme
- 10.30am — Dog Display
- 11.30am — Cheerleaders
- 12.00pm — Harworth Drums
- 12.30pm — The Great Babu
- 1.30pm — Dog Display
- 2.30pm — Cheerleaders
- 3.30pm — The Great Babu
- 12.30pm — De Burnay’s School of Dance
- 1.30pm — Performance Hub
- 2.15pm — Louise Clarkson School of Dance
- 3.00pm — North Notts Makaton Choir
Town Hall Programme
- 11.15am — Dawn Staples Dance School
- 12.00pm — Retford U3A Recorder Group
- 12.45pm — Lynx Martial Arts
- 1.30pm — Lena Snowden Singers
- 2.15pm — The MOB
- 12.00pm — Lynx Martial Arts
- Throughout the Day — Steel Pantastic
Retford Lions Charter Day Duck Races
Retford Lions have run ‘The Corporate Red Duck’ race for 10 years or more now. This is separate from the Yellow Duck Race and generates a good stream of donations, mainly for local charities, whilst giving the firms which participate a good chance to win the first prize of £1,000.
Local businesses who have sponsored Red Ducks can be found on the following pages. Long may the races’ success continue.
See the Charter Day Red Duck Race at 2.45pm, followed by the Yellow Duck Race.
Yellow Duck race
2,000 yellow ducks are sold to the public, with prizes of £250, £150 and £50. Sales begin on a market stall the Saturday prior to Charter Day and then on stalls on Charter Day itself in the Park and in Exchange Street. They always sell out well before the race start at 3.00pm. The Lions are helped very much by duck collectors from the Canoe Club.