Thanks to funding from Notts County Council and the Retford Civic Society, Campbell Designs of Mattersey has given the Sebastopol Cannon in Retford a full facelift. They helped to preserving British history using Coach Enamel Paint from a local Retford business Paintman Paint.
The Sebastopol Cannon has an interesting history. After the end of the Crimean War in 1856, the Government offered captured ordnance as trophies. Retford applied, and in April 1858 a 24-pounder was delivered to the town by rail.
The cannon was removed during the scrap metal drive of the Second World War, but was rescued by Mr Bradshaw, Alderman of Retford. The cannon was reinstated after the Second World War, set on a new wooden gun carriage and officially unveiled in 1950 by the Mayor of Retford.