KEGS 1978 – 2020 Reunion — bookings open

by | 15 May 2019 | Community Focus, Retford

The oldest part of the Retford Grammar School on London Road, dates back to 1857, replacing an even older school in Chapelgate established as early as the 12th and 13th centuries (source: ‘A History of King Edward VI Grammar School, Retford’ by AD Grounds).

Iron gutters betray later additions in 1926 (the ‘New Block’), in 1937 (the Assembly Hall) and numerous other new buildings added for war time evacuees, and new subjects. As recently as 1979 a new block was added, and facilities for the arrival of female students. In 1978, the year before the word Grammar was dropped from the school’s name, one of the last panoramic school photographs was taken.

In 2018, over 40 students and teachers from the closing Grammar school era, travelled from far and wide to rekindle old friendships at the West Retford Hotel where they were made very welcome. The weekend was so successful, they’re planning a repeat, ticket only event in May 2020 and they are now booking places.

If you’d like to know more please email for more information about this event, or ones like it by older or younger cohorts.