Local organisations and community and voluntary groups from across Bassetlaw have shared almost £50,000 of funding that will deliver arts and heritage based events and activities in their communities.
A total of 10 recipients have benefitted from grants of around £5,000 each thanks to Bassetlaw District Council’s Arts and Heritage Grant Programme, which is funded through the Government’s UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
Just some of the local projects include providing creative therapies for people fighting cancer, a sculpture project that celebrates the LGBTQ+ community, and funding for a Christmas Lantern Parade.
Community groups who wish to bid for a share of around £28,000 as part of the allocation for 2024 / 25 will have the opportunity to do so in January. Grants of between £500 and £5,000 will be available and more information can be found by visiting www.bassetlaw.gov.uk and searching for UKSPF.
The full list of groups and projects that were successful 2023 / 24 is:
- Markham Clinton: Provide resources and equipment for new community activities.
- Aurora Wellbeing: Arts and Minds Creative Therapy Programme, including Photography Skills Workshops and an Art Therapy course exploring the theme of ‘Identity and Loss after a cancer diagnosis’.
- Bassetlaw Museum: Events that explore 1920s culture, fashion, dance and decorative arts, inspired by the museum’s existing collection of costume and artefacts.
- Evolution Soccer: An Activities Festival in Retford that provides sporting, arts, heritage and cultural experiences for young people.
- Harworth and Bircotes Pride: Creation of two pieces of public art that will celebrate the LGBTQ+ community and the Pride events that take place across Bassetlaw.
- Retford Business Forum: Lantern making activities in local schools that will support a wider Christmas themed parade and event in the town centre.
- Inspire: Work with children, adults and families to create a ‘Pride in our Place’ photo exhibition, as well as introduce participants to photography skills and visual art.
- Oasis Community Church, Centre and Gardens: Playspace events focussed on children and families taking place during Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays.
- Retford Arts Hub: Introductory art classes for children and adults.
- Rhubarb Farm: Gather and Grow is a series of ecotherapy-inspired creative arts, horticulture and food workshops culminating in a celebratory Harvest Festival.
Expert energy advice for businesses
Businesses in Bassetlaw can get an expert energy audit and guidance on how to reduce their carbon footprint, become more sustainable and reduce their long-term costs through a new Council run project.
Bassetlaw District Council is working with Mitie Plan Zero to carry out Energy Audits, which will provide businesses with a Heat Decarbonisation Plan for their places of work, along with the opportunity to apply for a grant of up to £5,000 to support any future costs of implementing energy efficiency and carbon reduction measures.
The project expects to support more than 50 micro, small and medium businesses across the district, and is being delivered as part of the Council’s £3.3m allocation from the Government’s UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
One of the first businesses to take advantage of the audit is the Acorn Theatre in Worksop.
To learn more or apply for Mitie Plan Zero to carry out an Energy Audit of your business, please visit www.bassetlaw.gov.uk and search for UKSPF.