From the minute St Swithun’s Church bells ring out at 10.00am on Saturday 10th September, the town will be alive with dancing in the streets, music and talks in the Town Hall and the town’s most iconic buildings open to the public.
Special displays will welcome visitors, guides will be on hand to answer questions on the history of the buildings and refreshments will be available in all the churches. More details on what they offer can be found on the Heritage Open Days website and the Retford Civic Society stall on Carolgate on Saturday 3rd September and outside Bassetlaw Museum on the day of the event.
- 10.00am: Bells ringing at St Swithun’s Church: Official Opening of Retford Heritage Day – Town Hall
- 10.15am: Town Hall Tour: Book at Bassetlaw Museum or on Eventbrite
- Organ Music with Stephen Carey: St Swithun’s Church
- 10.45am: Retford Community Singers’ Workshop – Town Hall Council Chamber
- 11.00am: U3A Recorder Group – St Swithun’s Church
- 11.30am: Paul Cookson, Amazing Poet – Town Hall Ballroom
- 12.15pm: Doncaster Waites (Renaissance Music Group) – St Swithun’s Church
- 12.30pm: Pilgrim Voices with Jo Thorpe and Dan Geary – Town Hall Ballroom
- 1.00pm: Slurs and Trills (Early Music Group) – Town Hall Council Chamber
- 1.30pm: ‘Songs from the Shows’ with Hannah Harris – Town Hall Ballroom
- 2.00pm: Chesterfield Canal Talk: ‘The 18th Century Superhighway’ – Town Hall Chamber
- 2.15pm: Doncaster Waites (Renaissance Music) – St Swithun’s Church
- 3.00pm: Town Hall Tour – book at Bassetlaw Museum or on Eventbrite
Tours will be available
- Retford Masonic Hall, Carolgate: 10.00am to 4.00pm on the hour
- Trinity Hospital, Hospital Road: 10.00am to 4.00pm
- Retford Majestic Theatre, Coronation Street: 10.00am to 2.00pm, book via Box Office on 01777 706866
- Grove Street Methodist Church, Grove Street: at 10.00am, 12.00pm and 2.00pm
It doesn’t stop there; other venues and attractions open to the public include Retford Railway Station Buffet, Bassetlaw Museum, Denman Library, St Michael’s Church, Goodwin Hall, Retford Arts Hub, The Old School House. Full venue details on www.heritageopendays.org.uk.
- Chesterfield Canal Trust Information Stall and Heritage Boats – behind Retford Little Theatre, Wharf Road.
- Heritage Coach Rides – book at the information stall at Bassetlaw Museum on the day,-£1.00 a trip.
- Folk Dancing Groups performing around town all day.
Put the date in your diary and have a fantastic, lively day out in Retford! It is the perfect opportunity to find out more about our heritage and celebrate it.