Following the success of the first InspiREAD Primary Book awards in 2020, Inspire Education Library Service (ELS) have announced their 2021 shortlist of great books for children and young people – and you can vote for your favourite until 8th July.
After a challenging year of lockdowns and stop-start education, ELS want to get everyone reading children’s books again: that includes pupils, teachers, parents, grandparents, carers, schools, families and friends. InspiREAD is an opportunity to get children back into reading, boost their literacy, and help them discover new stories. But it’s not just for kids – it’s for anyone who enjoys a good read.
ELS librarians have narrowed down their favourite books for children and young people that were published over the last year. These books are suitable for all ages, and can be read, listened to via audiobook, or watched online. Readers are encouraged to explore as many titles as they want on the below shortlist, then vote for their favourites in one of three categories:
- Clem and Crab, written and illustrated by Fiona Lumbers; published by Andersen Press
- Fly Tiger Fly, written and illustrated by Rikin Parekh; published by Hodder Children’s Books
- Be More Bernard, written by Simon Philip and illustrated by Kate Hindley; published by Simon & Schuster
- My Pet T-Rex, written and illustrated by Fabi Santiago; published by Orchard Books
- Too Small Tola, written by Atinuke and illustrated by Onyinye Iwu; published by Walker Books
- Is My Teacher A Robot?, written by Dave Cousins and illustrated by Catalina Echeverri; published by Stripes Publishing
- Albert Johnson and the Buns of Steel, written by Phil Earle, illustrated by Steve May; published by Barrington Stoke
- Willow Wildthing and the Swamp Monster, written by Gill Lewis and illustrated by Rebecca Bagley; published by Oxford University Press
- Troofriend, written by Kirsty Applebaum; published by Nosy Crow
- Crater Lake, written by Jennifer Killick; published by Firefly Press
- The StrangeWorlds Travel Agency, written by L.D.Lapinski; published by Orion Children’s Books
- The Perfect Parent Project, written by Stewart Foster; published by Simon & Schuster