Energy bills help from Citizens Advice

by | 2 February 2019 | Citizens Advice, Sherwood

If you have been wondering whether you could save money, or you are unhappy with your energy supplier, now is the time to do something about it. If you are dreading a big bill or your energy supplier has increased your direct debit payments — Citizens Advice Sherwood and Newark could help you get a better deal.

In the three years we have been offering energy appointments, we have seen significant changes in the energy market including poor customer service from some suppliers. We have helped consumers to:

  • switch to better deals and save money (in some cases hundreds of pounds a year)
  • set up affordable arrangements for arrears, or have them written off, if they have been unfairly applied.
  • sort out problems with energy suppliers and, where unresolved, take their case to the ombudsman.

We have seen some alarming cases of people being made worse off by switching suppliers based on information given by doorstep or telephone sales people. It is important to remember that sales people, or callers who are not your existing supplier and offer you a smart meter, would be switching your account over to them and that may not be the best decision for you, particularly if you qualify for the Warm Home Discount.

Citizens Advice Sherwood and Newark is a local advice charity and part of the national Citizens Advice network. Our service is independent, impartial, confidential and free — and we won’t push you to do anything you don’t want to do.
Give us a call on 01623 861769 and ask for the Energy Adviser.