Are you in this situation? Citizens Advice Sherwood and Newark are here to help you find a way forward

by | 22 May 2022 | Citizens Advice, Sherwood

“I am already struggling to stay on top of my household bills; my weekly food shop isn’t stretching as far anymore and now my energy bill is going up too. I don’t know how I’m going to afford all of these price rises. What can I do to stop my finances spiralling out of control?”

First of all, you are not alone in this and there’s support to help you.

It’s always worth checking if there are benefits you don’t know about that you’re eligible for, including support with your energy costs and living costs. On the Citizens Advice website there’s a benefits calculator, advice on how to reduce living costs and information on other ways to increase your income.

If you’re struggling to stay on top of bills, it’s really important to understand what money you have coming in and going out each month. Citizens Advice has a budgeting tool on its website that can help with this.

And if you’re already behind on bills, prioritise paying your rent or mortgage, plus energy bills and Council Tax first. Not paying these bills has the most serious consequences. You should speak to the person or company you owe money to, to see if they can help you repay your bills sustainably.

Times are incredibly tough but please remember, you don’t have to face this alone. Citizens Advice are here to help you find a way forward.

Contact Citizens Advice Sherwood and Newark

  • General advice via their Adviceline on 0800 144 88 48 or Relay UK (if you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say) on 18001 0800 144 8884 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm)
  • Call the local office on 01623 861769, where you may be offered a call back
  • Chat online to an adviser –
  • Call into their Newark or Ollerton offices