The Old Library and Museum building was officially re-opened last month with a National Heritage Lottery Fund celebration event. The many services in the Centre were showcased, including the Heritage Hub, Valerie’s Tea Rooms, Charity Shop, Cancer support services, therapies, and social activities for local people in the Bassetlaw area.
This month the team at Aurora is highlighting Volunteers’ Week, 1st to 7th June.
Over the past few weeks, Aurora has been nominating a ‘Volunteer of the Year’ at the Centre. Although all volunteers are important to the group, this was an opportunity for one volunteer to get a special mention. Here are some of the things Aurora volunteers have said about their role:
“One of the reasons is that I don’t feel as lonely as I did, just being around nice people who are warm and friendly and make you feel wanted makes me happy. I enjoy being part of a team who give themselves to help other people.”
“I feel that I am giving back and helping other people like the ones that helped me.”
“It has helped me get back some of the confidence that I lost through Covid, and it gives me great joy to volunteer for such a worthwhile cause.”
Would you like to be part of the Aurora Wellbeing family? Volunteers are at the heart of what Aurora does and they would not be able to deliver these services without them. They have a range of fulfilling volunteer roles, new and old; pick up a form from reception.
- Friendly Crafters’ Group: Wednesdays, 10.30am to 12.30pm. Crafts include knitting, crocheting and jewellery making. A donation of £2.50 is requested.
- Paper Craft Group: Mondays and Fridays, 2.15pm to 4.00pm. An informal group of crafters of all things paper. Materials are supplied and a donation of £2.00 is requested.
- Wellbeing Wednesday: first Wednesday of the month, 10.00am to 2.00pm. Craft stalls, wellbeing information and a spotlight on heritage activities and memorabilia.
- Games Group: Thursdays, 2.00pm to 3.30pm (fortnightly). Games include Scrabble, chess and dominoes with a community jigsaw to test your patience! Refreshments included and everyone is welcome.
- Heritage Café: first Tuesday of the month, 10.30am to 12.00pm. Explore the past! You do not need to book this free session and refreshments are included.