Worried that you or a loved one could fall victim to a scam? To encourage people to report scams, share their experiences and look out for others, Citizens Advice are running a Scams Awareness campaign.
It might be a scam if:
- It seems too good to be true
- You suspect you’re not dealing with a real company – there’s no postal address
- You’ve been pressured to transfer money quickly or in an unusual way
- You’ve been asked to give away personal information – passwords / PINs
If you’ve been scammed
- Talk to your bank or card company immediately if you’ve handed over any financial information or made a payment
- Report telephone, post and doorstep scams via www.citizensadvice.org.uk or call 0808 223 1133.
- Report online scams via Citizen’s Advice’s Scams Action service on their website or call 0808 250 5050
- Report scams to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040
- Nottinghamshire Victim Care on 0800 304 7575 or www.nottsvictimcare.org.uk offers support
- To protect yourself from a scam
- Don’t be rushed into making quick decisions
- Never give money or personal details to anyone you don’t know, trust or have only met online
- Check the website, read reviews, search for the company’s details on Companies House, look at Terms and Conditions
- Paying by debit / credit card gives you extra protection
- Make sure your antivirus software is up to date
- Use strong passwords. Choosing three random words can create a strong password, and add in numbers and symbols.
Contact Citizens Advice Sherwood and Newark
- General advice via their Adviceline on 0800 144 88 48 or Relay UK on 18001 0800 144 8884 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm)
- Call the local office on 01623 861769, where you may be offered a call back
- Chat online to an adviser – www.citizensadvice.org.uk/contact-us
- Call into their Newark Office (Tuesday and Wednesday, 9.30am to 2.30pm) or Ollerton Offices (Monday and Wednesday, 9.30am to 2.30pm)