Wickersley Church Institute was founded in 1862 by William Holt Yates at a cost of £1,500. It comprised of a library, museum and lecture room for the use of Wickersley people. It also had a provident society for adults and a penny bank for children. There were strict rules governing use of the building, which are still observed.
There have been many changes in the facilities provided on the Gillot Lane site in the past 146 years. The last major changes involved the conversion of tennis courts into a bowling green in 1967/8 and the conversion of the Institute into apartments in 1998.
This year the bowling club celebrates 50 years of playing crown green bowls. This occasion will be marked by playing a doubles match, men versus ladies. They will be playing for the Brian Hall trophy, a new event which will then be contested each year in recognition of Brian’s dedication to the club over the 50 years. Brian helped to lay the green and has been an active member ever since, only recently retiring from his role as treasurer. The club still offers its members both sporting and social facilities throughout the year.