Organisers of the 14th annual Community Achievement Awards — celebrating the work of Rotherham’s voluntary and community sector — have shortlisted nine nominees across three categories for this year’s ceremony. The nominees in the categories of ‘Project’, ‘Volunteer’ and ‘Young Volunteer’ are below.
This year’s judges who are scrutinising and assessing the entries are Carole Haywood, Partnerships and Policy Manager at RMBC; Andrew Mosley, Editor at Rotherham Advertiser; and Azizzum Akhtar, CEO of Rotherham Ethnic Minority Alliance. The winner of each category will be announced on Friday 17th November at the annual awards ceremony to be compered by Michael Kilby-Scott at the Carlton Park Hotel.
PROJECT(sponsored by Ladbrook Insurance)
- Pops Outdoor Adventure Centre provides all year round activities for young people and the local community encouraging people to engage with the outdoors.
- Rotherham Samaritans team of 59 volunteers provides emotional support for anyone in crisis.
- Rotherham Talking Newspapers provides weekly audio recordings of all the latest local news to people with visual and physical impairments.
VOLUNTEER (sponsored by Barnsley and Rotherham Chamber of Commerce)
- Yaqoup Adam volunteers for British Red Cross and provides support to vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers in Rotherham.
- Roy Ashton volunteers at all Alzheimer’s Society Memory Cafes in Rotherham providing support to people with dementia and their carers and family.
- Vicky Berry makes a difference to young people’s lives through volunteering at JADE Young People’s Charity.
YOUNG VOLUNTEER(sponsored by Morthyng Group Ltd)
- Javaria Bazmi is a Volunteer Police Cadet taking part in community engagement events and activities across Rotherham.
- Emily Booth-Rodgers and Natasha Nelson both volunteer in the in-patient unit at Rotherham Hospice providing support to patients and families.
- Daniel Maude is a volunteer Community First Responder, responding to life threatening emergencies in his community on behalf of the Yorkshire Ambulance Service.