The Parish Council recently hosted the Community Awards for the second year, recognising members of the community who give their time to make Bramley a better place to live.
Awards were presented to:
- Dennis Hardwick, Jean Simmons and Carol Makin who weekly run the community café.
- Sylvia Graham for her work with St Francis Church and parish council events.
- Mark Rudman who organises charity football matches raising over £6,000 for local charities.
- Shane and Sarah Williams, chairman and treasurer of Bramley Sunnyside Junior Football Club, who give their time organising fixtures and social events for the young people.
- Sue Davis who works at Sunnyside Junior School and arranges art classes and art therapy groups.
- Mel Wilson Rodgers who makes jams and preserves and sells them to raise funds for local charities and has raised a fantastic £35,000 pounds.
- Jayne Shaw and Rita Whitby who run the preschool group at Bill Chafer.
- Glynis Ashton who is pastoral lead at Bramley Sunnyside School supporting children and families who need a little help.
- Mike Dyson who has been involved in Neighbourhood Watch, growing the group in the local area and attends the community café offering help and advice.
- Lewis Mills and Greg Reynolds, ward councillors. Both work and support the community and Parish Council offering advice and funding projects in Bramley, helping with equipment for the youth club and donating funds to the renovation of the skate park and much more.
The final award was a new award this year – The Chairman’s Award, which went to Wyn Hibberd. Wyn is 96 years old and hardly ever misses any parish council and church event. Her wry sense of humour lights up a room. Unfortunately, Wyn hasn’t been well and was unable to attend the evening so was presented with her award at a later date.
- Bramley Remembers: Sunday 12th November, 10.00am. Service at St Francis Church at 10.00am followed by parade to War Memorial on Cross Street. Light refreshments will be served in St Francis Church after the service.
- Christmas Craft Fair: Sunday 19th November at Bill Chafer Centre, Flash Lane, Bramley. Lots of Christmas crafts and gifts. Hot and cold refreshments. To book a stall contact 01709 544590.
- Brass Band Performance: Sunday 17th December, 2.00pm. An hour of festive carols and Christmas music with Bramley Brass Band at Bill Chafer Centre, Flash Lane, Bramley. Tickets £2.00 including refreshments. To book tickets contact 01709 544590.
- Community Café: every Wednesday at Bill Chafer Centre from 10.00am to 12.00pm. Hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and a good chat. Neighbourhood Watch and community police regularly attend.
- Youth Club: every Thursday at Bill Chafer Centre. School years 5 to 7: 5.00pm to 7.00pm. School years 8+: 7.00pm to 8.30pm. Qualified youth leaders offering indoor and outdoor games and sports, arts and crafts, games console and well-stocked tuck shop.
- Girls Youth Group: every Monday in Village Hall, Cross Street, Bramley from 5.00pm to 7.00pm. Outdoor and indoor games, baking, cooking, arts and crafts plus tuck shop, run by qualified youth workers. School year 5+.