In a school in Scunthorpe, there is a hidden gem to be discovered in a seasonal programme of monthly concerts.
Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. The Coronation of King Charles shows that when we need music of gravitas and grandeur, it is classical to which we turn. And when we want tempo with a twist, look no further than jazz.
The first concert in the series at Outwood Academy (DN15 8LI) will be performed by Yuanfan Yang. Described as a giant of the keyboard, Yuanfan’s dazzling Schumann and Liszt rivals those of the young Ashkenazy. The event will start at 7.30pm and will include refreshments and a raffle.
Variety keeps it fresh and as the season continues, artists of international renown will showcase instruments from voice, accordion, strings, brass and woodwind. If you have never watched live music close-up before, you will be amazed at how nimble the artists are and you will be bewitched by their craft.
Individual concert tickets cost just £18.00. For real value for money, an annual membership subscription is just £90.00 for seven concerts. Children attend free with an accompanying adult. For full details, visit www.scunthorpe-concert-society.co.uk.
- 13th October: Yuanfan Yang – Piano
- 10th November: Ryan Corbett – Accordion
- 1st December: The London Quartet Cantabile – A Capella Group
- 12th January: Ignas Macknickas – Piano
- 2nd February: Brodsky Quartet – String Quartet
- 8th March: Ben Goldscheider and Richard Uttley – Horn and Piano
- 19th April: Doncaster Youth Jazz Orchestra – Contemporary Big Band