Know your rights before you start your Christmas shopping

by | 6 November 2017 | Citizens Advice, Gainsborough

Citizens Advice West Lindsey is reminding residents to go back to retailers if they are sold faulty electrical goods this Christmas.
Research from the national charity released today reveals that two thirds (66%) of people had a problem with a faulty electrical item in the last two years. However, one in four (28%) people were initially turned away by retailers when they tried to get a repair, replacement or refund, despite the retailer having a responsibility to offer a solution.
The survey also showed that persistence paid off, with 61% of those who were turned away eventually getting some form of solution from the retailer.

Electrical goods — what you need to know
Don’t put up with broken electrical goods – if an item breaks and it’s not your fault, you have a right to a free repair, replacement or refund depending when and where you bought it.

What to do when an item is faulty

  • Don’t attempt to fix it yourself – this could stop you getting redress because it will make it harder to prove you did not cause the fault. You may also risk injuring yourself.
  • Return it to the retailer – It’s the responsibility of the retailer to help you resolve the problem, not the manufacturer.
  • They should cover the costs of returning the item – contact them first to check the best way to do this.

Getting a repair, replacement or refund

  • Bought within the last 30 days – you can get a refund on a faulty product.
  • Bought within the last six months – you are entitled to have it repaired or replaced once. If the item still doesn’t work you should get a full refund.
  • Bought more than six months ago – you may still get a repair or replacement but you will only get a partial refund to reflect the use you’ve got out of the item. You’ll need to prove you didn’t cause the fault which may make it harder to get redress.
  • Repair doesn’t work? If you have one repair and it doesn’t succeed, you can ask for a full or partial refunding, depending on when the purchase was made.
  • Replaced with something different? The retailer should try to replace the item like-for-like. This may not always be possible, so if you’re offered something you don’t want you can ask for a refund.